Wednesday, August 30, 2006

If Only They Could All Be Like This

A couple of weeks ago, I flew to Adelaide for the day to visit two collectors of my work, Eugene and Ee-Lynn. I needed to repair a work that had been slightly damaged when it was transported to them from my studio.I had never actually met them in person. For me, meeting my collectors for the first time is rather like a first date, so I felt a little nervous. I was particularly so this time, as E 'n' E, as I think of them, are among my most supportive and enthusiastic patrons.
E 'n' E have an amazing art collection that includes works by John Olsen, Patricia Piccinini, Bill Henson, Annette Bezor, Ariel Hassan, and many othes. The cool thing about it is that it's unpredictable, even eccentric, and difficult to categorise other than the umbrella description of "contemporary". So many art buyers are happy to pursue 'brand-name' artwork [shudder], even if the work is awful, sloppy, or the hundredth repeat (yes, Damien, I am talking about you!). E 'n' E's is very different, and while it has some key works by major Australian artists, it also has others that are a lot less well-known but just as affecting.
I've also never seen such beautiful furniture – E 'n' E have a real eye (and a high degree of expertise) when it comes to selecting unique pieces from different parts of the world and different periods.
As I retouched the chipped enamel of my painting (one of the Self Vs. Self series), E 'n' E chatted and made lunch – freshly shucked oysters, prawns, steamed whole fish with coriander and chili, and barbequed quail. Five hours later, they drove me to the airport, stopping on the way to introduce me to the Director of Adelaide's prestigious Greenaway Galleries. They gave me a bottle of Australia's most expensive red wine, Penfold Grange, to help ease the pain of having to return to Sydney.

1 comment:

Gaby said...

What beautiful people!