Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Just Trying To Explain Myself

"I used to be in love with Tracey Emin. She was bold, self-made and bolshie and she didn’t care what anyone thought of her. I fell out of love when she stopped making her art herself and began writing about being a celebrity for The Guardian newspaper. It turned out that she cared quite a lot about what people thought of her.
"Before Tracey, I had a crush on Cindy Sherman. She was an older woman, and someone on whom I thought I could model myself. It ended when I realised that all she really had to offer was a sense of fashion, and even then, not her own. There were other women, other artists, all of them older and successful within a system that had once favoured only men with fame and money and the opportunity to be more than a footnote in art history. It was only later that I figured out that it was just an elaborate con’.
"I am not love with anyone anymore. And I have stopped believing in a lot of what is thought of as art these days. It’s as if a couple of hundred, dull-headed middle-aged men and women – not just artists, but educators, curators, gallerists, and critics – have come up with a set of rules to define what real art and real artists are. The rules are vague and yet still as constrictive and moralistic as anything concocted by a Reformation cleric. Which is, I guess, exactly what one should expect since art became a kind of religion in the late 20th century, a cargo cult for the upper-middle-class, with the artists themselves playing make-shift shamen."
From my essay, Life Study, in the current issue of the Griffith REVIEW: The Next Big Thing

3 comments:

PunkClown said...

Great to see you expressing yourself in so many different formats Hazel!
I'm really tired tonight so I hope my little contribution re: "what art is" (even though you didn't ask for it) makes sense. Those sort of discussions are so dependant on subjective viewpoints as to become almost meaningless anyway, even if they can be constructive (sometimes) for exploring different concepts of what art can be. I tend to follow Frank Zappa's viewpoint that Art (with a capital A lol) is anything the artists deems it to be, sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not so ~ after that it's just up to personal taste if the audience "gets" it or not. Quote:

The most important thing in art is The Frame. For painting literally; for other arts: figuratively-because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins.
You have to put a 'box' around it because otherwise, ”what is that shit on the wall?”
If John Cage, for instance, says, "I'm putting a contact microphone on my throat, and I'm going to drink carrot juice, and that's my composition," then his gurgling qualifies as his composition because he put a frame around it and said so. "Take it or leave it, I now will this to be music." After that it's a matter of taste. Without the frame-as-announced, it's just a guy swallowing carrot juice.

from The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa and Peter Occhiogrosso. (1989 Pan Books Ltd. London. p. 140.)

Although I might take issue with "the most important thing" being the frame...the definitive thing perhaps, but I'd still suggest that the art itself was the most important thing.
Probably there will always be those who would set themselves up as the rule-makers, trend-mongers, whatever in what is or is not art. Their motivations (probably power, control, vested interests...I don't know) do not interest me. I am simply happy there will always be those on "the outer" so to speak, who have minds of their own and decide what they will create & like no matter what the "accepted" consensus might be.

Stay healthy, happy and creative Hazel!
Cheers,
Cameron

p.s. previewing my text it looks as if I'd be the kind of person who does the little "quote" thing with their fingers around certain words when talking...I'm not really...at least I don't think I am...*heh*

Susquehanna Studio said...

Never heard your name before tonight, and ended up reading all your posts. Bravo, keep writing, enjoy all that you have, and you have it all.
From an artist in NE Pennsylvania.
Robert Stark

Anonymous said...

You might as well do the quote mark thing with your fingers it cant be any worse then using the term lol.