Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch

After a dreadful Friday evening at the Griffith REVIEW event, I've spent the last few days in the studio. It's been a welcome relief to do nothing else but paint. I had to finish some acrylic studies that I started between 1999 and 2001 then left incomplete until this year. Most are for Metro 5 Gallery, in Melbourne (you can see them here), which has created a bit of a buzz around them in the local market. Other, larger ones are part of a series commission from two of my favourite collectors.
I haven't answered the phone or left the studio for two days. I slept on the daybed there when I could no longer resist sleep in the early hours of the morning. I've been playing Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Henry Rollins, Moloko and David Gray really loud through speakers wired up to my iPod. Only at night do I put on headphones so I don't wake the neighbours. It makes me feel like I'm in a alternate world made up of only painting and a soundtrack. The night somehow makes the world my own, and my sense of time disappears.
It feels so... pure.

1 comment:

C~ said...

Hazel--I am so inspired.

By way of a three-person trail of random links that spans the two hemispheres, I found your site and this delicious blog. What you create (particularly those latest watercolours!) and the words that you offer up about life through your eyes are pure tonic.

While I can appreciate the importance of gentleness and support (lots of creative women lovefests on the web these days), I can't help but feel gratitude for your edgier, independent attitude. It's visceral and uncomplicated, and for that, I am inspired.