Tuesday, September 05, 2006

On The Grid

I've always liked the egalitarianism of the web, and the early idea of it as this vast, interconnected resource of arcane information. When I first set up my website, I wanted it to be an archive of accurate, up-to-date information about my work and me, as well as a point of contact.
I always wanted to be accessible. Before the web, whenever I'd been represented by commercial galleries, there had been no way for anyone to reach me except through these galleries and counter-intuitively, they always discouraged it. Now I can be contacted by anyone, anytime, and I love it.
Mostly I hear from collectors, gallerists, artists and journalists whom I already know, even if I haven't had a chance to meet them yet, but I also get a lot of what I call 'random' notes from people who have happened across a reference to my work on another web site. Something I didn't expect was the large number of students who write to ask questions about my paintings or about me or about art in general as background for assignments. When I was a kid, the world of art and artists seemed almost illusive, like some shadowy secret society that might not really exist, but I've had emails from primary and high school students in Australia, the USA, Britain, Japan, Russia, and most recently, Korea.
The concept of the Net enabling connection between us all, no matter how fleeting, and dissolving social, financial and geographical barriers is idealised and simplistic, I know – but I cling to it.

1 comment:

The Barking Unicorn said...

You use "idealistic" and "simplistic" apologetically, as if they were weak silly words. They are Power!

Every honest, true thing is *simple*! The more complex a thing is, the less likely it is to be honest or true. Compare simple & complex examples of Singing Crystal Bowls: http://is.gd/2XgVH

Idealism is belief unsupported by "objective" evidence. Belief precedes every discovery. It comes from the Heart where all truth originates, not from the Deluded mind. See "Trust Thought or Feeling?": http://is.gd/2Xh8r

The Barking Unicorn

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." ~ The Buddha.

Mine is to help you.
http://twitter.com/BarkingUnicorn