Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Stuffed And Hung On The Wall

I wasn't entirely honest in the entry I wrote about art prizes.
Last year, I posed for an entry in the Art Gallery of New South Wales' Photographic Portrait Prize. I don't know what title the photographer chose when he submitted the portrait to the Prize's 'hanging judges', but I wanted to call it Trophy Wall. Leaving aside the obvious socio-sexual conotations – wall, long-billed game fish, naked woman – I was struck by the idea that the thrill of the hunt and trophy displays are what a lot of art collectors are really about. (Not any of my collectors, of course.)
Maybe the same thought struck the judges. Maybe it made them uncomfortable. (Then again, maybe they just thought my portrait, whatever its title, was crap). It didn't make it past the first cut.

No comments: