Monday, October 16, 2006

Floating World

My boyfriend gave me the most beautiful surfboard in the world. It's a 9'2" longboard, with a deck the exact shade of hot pink that I've used in several of my early paintings. The design is a kind of a camp 'Old Glory', a pastel pastiche of the American flag with off-white stars scattered down the left hand side and pink and cream stripes down the right. The whole design is bordered by a thin, Klein blue line. These exact same shades of pink and blue were combined in my very first enamel painting.
The board is still shiny and new. Yesterday, I kept its surfaces pristine so i could admire them, and peer into them like the facets of some exotic jewel. Last night I dreamed that I'd fallen asleep embracing it. Today, I can't wait to wax the deck and blur the hard edges of colour under layers of opaque carnauba extract. It's time to turn it into a practical water craft instead of a slippery totem.
I can't wait to paddle out on it. Sometimes, when I'm in the surf, I catch glimpses of rich, aqueous colours around me, as if my art has swum out to keep me company – a surreal idea that makes me feel whole, as if I am able finally to assemble all the disparate pieces of myself on the heaving surface of the shore break.

2 comments:

David said...

Why don't you sign the surfboard and give it to Scott redford

Anonymous said...

Beautifully described. You really nailed it, Hazel. The gift of a new board would turn me into a 5-year-old under a Christmas tree. There's no better present ... well, a 90-year lease on a Fijian island (with a righthander) would trump it!
I love the smell of new board, new guitar (and napalm in the morning).

Cheers,
B. Quasar