Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I Love Hues All

I've discovered Sennelier's extra soft pastels – and I've fallen head-over-heels in love with them. Soft, creamy, and not at all chalk-like, they come in a wide range of primary and delicate hues and all are luscious and intense. Whatever pressure I use with is subtly revealed, even if i only caress the paper. When I press down, there's a thick trail of dense pigment.
I found these pastels by accident or, rather, I chose them without knowing anything about Maison Sennelier. It was only later that I happened onto the company's web site, which recounts its history in passionate detail, starting with the devoted chemist and colourist, Gustave Sennelier, who opened the house in 1887.
Which reminds me: I still have to finish the extraordinary Colour : A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay. It has already inspired in me this restless longing to be out of my studio and travelling to places rich with history, culture, artisanship and great art.
Unfortunately, Australia is not on this map.

1 comment:

katehughes said...

So you do not think Aboriginal art is rich with history, artisanship and culture? or do you speak solely of white Australian art history?