Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lost In Spaces

Today was a total bust. My assistant was supposed to arrive at 9:30am, then take my van to do a series of urgent errands, pick-ups and deliveries in the city. I would usually allow four hours for it all in heavy traffic. I allowed about twice that time for her to get lost, look for parking, and have a couple of breaks. I had a full day of painting planned. Deadlines are looming.
The whole point of having an assistant is to enable me to spend more time making art.
Instead of a knock on the door at 9:30, I got a text message. The assistant wouldn't be in until midday, which turned into "sometime after midday" during a subsequent phone conversation. Maybe I have a tougher work ethic than most but somehow her excuse that she needed " just a little more sleep" because it was going to be "a big day" – her first big day after a week on the job – just didn't cut it with me. I fired her.
Late this afternoon, I hired my second assistant. She starts in two weeks. That's soon enough. Right now, I just want to be alone and paint.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I think you were definately not expecting too much. Hope you got some painting done.

Shell said...

Gawd. Your old assistant sounds like a total nong. I mean who would ring their work and say that they need a little more sleep cause it's gonna be a big day? You'd at least make up a decent excuse wouldn't you? Hope the new one works out for you.

Loving your blog: I anticipate each entry - your life seems anything but dull!

PunkClown said...

Sorry to hear about your (ex) assistant, that is a bummer. I also don't think you are expecting too much at all.
On another tack - The latest scientific research on "sleeping in" shows that it does us no favours at all and can actually make us feel worse than if we had roused from our slumber when the sun rises (or at least not too long after that) Having said that, I am on night-shift at the moment so my circadian rhythm is completely shot anyway!
I also hope you are getting some creative, productive work done Hazel. Stay well,
Cheers,
Cam

PunkClown said...

Sorry to hear about your (ex) assistant, that is a bummer. I also don't think you are expecting too much at all.
On another tack - The latest scientific research on "sleeping in" shows that it does us no favours at all and can actually make us feel worse than if we had roused from our slumber when the sun rises (or at least not too long after that) Having said that, I am on night-shift at the moment so my circadian rhythm is completely shot anyway!
I also hope you are getting some creative, productive work done Hazel. Stay well,
Cheers,
Cam

Jules Faber said...

Yup. Hard to get good help.

PunkClown said...

I'm not sure why my previous comment had a case of repetition, it's known I love the sound of my own voice (or the sight of my own text in this case) but that's just plain silly. Sorry about that Hazel.
:-)>