Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Too Kewl For School

In an earlier entry, I wrote about a skatebaord, a 4' 10" Sector 9 cruiser, I was asked to paint for an exhibition and charity auction in New York City. Several people emailed to ask to see a photograph of it. So here it is.
I remember being hesitant about taking on this project. I kept telling myself that a so-called serious artist didn't waste her talents on painting decks. The truth was, I was still just a little too close to a time when street culture – which, for me, was skating, graffiti, music, and speed
(in no particular order) – distracted me from my ambition to be a painter. As it turned out, working on the board was one of the best things I ever did, not just because of the opportunities that flowed from it but because it opened my mind to the idea that I didn't have to turn my back on my past to be successful.

3 comments:

jennie Rosenbaum said...

Wow, it looks awesome! you know, a lot of people say what one should and shouldn't do as a 'serious artist' (tm) I think there is a lot to be said for being successful on your own terms.
embracing demons is so hard but I think people respond to the emotion more when it comes from such a personal place.

Anonymous said...

A technical observation ... your foot placement is near perfect trim for a skateboard and/or surfboard. Especially for a surfboard, circa 1973. The idea for the work is brilliant. The understanding behind the idea lifts it to the sublime. Fuck, I'm sounding like Wally the Critic at 3am. ;)

BQ

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you overcame the thoughts about what is considered "serious" art long enough to go with designing a board. Being that art is almost wholly subjective, so is being serious about it.