Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Trail Of Crumbs

I thought a little about Robert Crumb today after I caught a glimpse of a volume about him at my local bookshop.
I first discovered his work in 1994, when I saw Crumb, the award-winning documentary. I was immediately drawn to the weirdness and explicit honesty of Robert – "I felt so painfully isolated that I vowed I would get revenge on the world by becoming a famous cartoonist. " – and of his brothers, Charles and Maxon. The Australian art critic Robert Hughes also appeared in the film. Delighted by the deviancy in Crumb's work, he talked (and, later, wrote) about its contemporary relevance.
Ironically, Crumb, like the fashion designer Vivienne Westwood, loathes pop culture, even though he, like Westwood, is credited with having helped to define it. "
When I come up against the real world," he said once, "I just vacillate."

1 comment:

Mikkel said...

Have you seen his daughter Sophie's stuff? It's pretty good.