Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Right Place

My house is built atop three-metre-high, narrow steel poles sunk into a concrete slab. The slab is wide, dry, fully covered, and airy, ideal for an open-air studio. I'm planning to surround it with temporary walls using a product called Natureed. It consists of natural reeds paired or tripled together with galvinised wire to create woven panels. The walls will act as a wind-break while still allowing plenty of daylight to filter through. Most importantly, the constant flow of fresh air will dissipate carcinogenic enamel fumes.
There's a laundry room in the centre of the slab where I can store my tins of paint. It has a deep, stainless steel sink in which to wash my brushes and a counter-top on which I can lay them out to dry.
I'm setting up other areas to work inside the house. I want each to be slightly different, so that moving between them is like a physical expression of the different head spaces required for different media. I already use a large coffee table, positioned in front of the daybed in my living room, overlooking the water, where I work on smaller works on paper. For larger works on paper, and painting with acrylics, I am thinking of putting an Indonesian teak dining table near the main entrance. Beneath a sheet of toughened glass, the table-top is decorated by rough-hewn carvings depicting what look like a cross between voodoo rituals and the karma sutra.
As I've written before, this is the first real home I've ever had. Now it's the most practical studio I've ever had as well. It'll be a long while before I think about moving again.

No comments: