Saturday, November 18, 2006

Words To Live With

As I'm in a list-making frame of mind – if only because of all the lists I've had to come up with ahead of moving house next week – I thought I'd note the ten books that, wherever I am, can always be found on my shelves.
The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Heart of Darkness
, Joseph Conrad

Story of the Eye
, Georges Bataille

Diva, Delacorta (I love all the Gorodish and Alba books!)
Perdita Durango
, Barry Gifford

Yellow Yellow
, Frank Asch, Illustrated by Mark Alan Stamaty

The Outsider
, Colin Wilson

Play It As It Lays
, Joan Didion

The Andy Warhol Diaries
, Andy Warhol, Pat Hackett

Fifty One Days on Mount Ubu, Francesco Clemente

2 comments:

Cookster said...

Have you ever read The Life & Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee? You'll never think of pumpkins again in the same way.

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

I have a teenager daughter studying Art for Senior. No way will she ask for my guidance or help [I have heard from other artist Mums of teenagers that it happens to them too]. Maybe a little query every now and then, but if I step over the mark [which is not defined and is always blurry, so I tread carefully or get too enthusiastic] I am 'ruining her life!' I love it though! Shows independence. If she ever asks someone else I will make sure she says thank you before she starts! I have helped more of my friends' children with asignments etc and I have always been thanked. It is the anonymous, out-of-the-blue queries that I now avoid having experienced similar to you.