Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Agoraphobia

This is my 100th post here but if you're expecting something exciting from me to celebrate this, you're going to be disappointed.
I've hardly been out of the house this week. It was something of an adventure, this morning, to drive to the next small town along the coast – a distance of just a couple of miles – to have one of my works on paper photographed for a New York art magazine. Even then, after fifteen minutes in a long tailback of traffic on 'the bends', the two-lane strip of blacktop winding around a deep, rain-forested gully that is the main route in and out of the peninsula where I live, I was ready to do a U-turn, drive home, and not venture out again until the end of the tourist season.
I have enough to keep me occupied. I am almost finished the commission for the UK client – a large enamel on board that's aggravated my acute allergy to the medium – and in between sketching a new series of works, I have been trying to balance my half-yearly accounts and catch up with a pile of correspondence that I've been ignoring for a month. Of course, I am supposed to be resting, according to the doctor, and I have promised myself that I will.
Tomorrow.

4 comments:

Cookster said...

This enamel issue is incredible - is there not a mask or something that you can wear to protect you? However, I must say, the prospect of wearing protective head gear is hardly conducive to artistic inspiration.

Roman said...

Hi Hazel,
I’ve been reading your posts with interest. Congratulation on turning 100!

Tracy said...

What Roman said. I just came across your blog and have been enjoying your words and work. Looking forward to more!

I would be a really good agoraphobe. I can go days and days without leaving my house. Not that I get the chance much but still.

PunkClown said...

Congratulations on your 100th post Hazel.
I hope you get a chance to rest properly. It's a hard thing to do these days, it seems! If you have a reasonably clear view of the Western horizonfrom your place after about 9:45 pm in the next few days, look S-SW...about 20 degrees up from the horizon.
Cheers, here's hoping for a wonderful 2007 for you and yours.
Cameron