Saturday, January 27, 2007

Looking Different

I am going through an extended period of change.
Last year, I turned my back on the large enamel works on board that have driven my career (and a constant flow of commissions) for the past decade to focus on more intimate watercolours on paper. Unlike my enamels, the watercolours were done quickly, almost impulsively, and served (to paraphrase the fine American novelist, Jim Harrison) to thaw a frozen sea within me. I continue to experiment with a variety of media on both board and paper but more and more, I find that I am 'seeing' on a larger, mutli-dimensional scale and the confines of a flat surface can no longer contain the more intricate concepts that have been occupying me.
Radical change in life and art can be a harrowing process. Having managed it in the former, albeit at high personal cost, I am getting ready to tackle it in the latter. Already, sketchbooks, notepads, maps, books, photographs, odd clumps of partly shaped clay and cipher-like patterns formed with bamboo sticks and beading are scattered across my studio floor. I am not answering the phone. I have released my assistant. I have the first, exciting but vapour-like inklings of... something. I have to spend time alone with it.

1 comment:

Sunil said...

Good luck on the metamorphosis...
Loved reding your blog and will be back for more...