Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mind Fucked

At the moment, I'm reading a number of books at the same time:
Navigation, A Newcomer's Guide by Sara Hopkinson
Story of O
by Pauline Réage

Edie, An American Biography
, by Jean Stein with George Plimpton

Multihull Voyaging
, by Thomas Firth Jones

Clemente
, published by the Guggenheim Museum, N.Y.
I've been finding it hard to focus on just one. I get restless and impatient. I want to consume all that each book contains, all at once. I feel a weird frustration at not being able to do so. I read a few chapters, then move onto something else. Later, I might come back to it. It's unusual for me, and a little irritating, but it's better than reading nothing.
My jittery sense of urgency comes from realising how wide the gaps in my knowledge are. I once read a magazine interview with Vivienne Westwood, who pointed out that everyone is so concerned about what they put in their bodies but they don't give a thought to all the junk they allow to seep into their consciousness.
The last thing I want is an accidental mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hazel,

Pat Hackett wrote a couple good ones w/Andy. Ultra Violet wrote an autobiography a while ago something like "my 15 minutes".
All were interesting.

-M