Saturday, March 24, 2007

Time Out

For the first time in several years, I am having a holiday. I wish I could say that it was my decision. It wasn't. I have been working every hour of the day on works to show as part of Renault New Generation Art at Art Melbourne '07, next month. Yesterday, my boyfriend, worried about the state I was in, insisted that I should see a doctor.
The doctor told me that, whatever my deadlines are, I have to take a two-week break immediately. As soon as Art Mebourne is over, I have to take two to three months off. I am not to draw or paint. I am not to become absorbed in art business. I have to rest – "It'll be hard for you, but you're to do nothing at all, except sleep, read, and maybe learn to surf," the doctor insisted. "Oh, and stick with the medication."
I have been fighting bad physical health (related to the long-term use of enamel in my painting) and depression for the past six months. Now I have to take care of them before the damage becomes irreparable. I have left it way too long as it is.

7 comments:

This Painting Life said...

Sorry to hear that you are unwell..it must be very hard to listen to the doctor! I know I'd be bucking and screaming and saying I'm alright Jack. It is so hard to STOP! I'm glad that you've got someone to look after you and make sure that you do. I'm sure that after a couple of weeks rest you'll realise how exhausted you are and will feel better and glad your boyfriend stepped in.
Here's to feeling better soon...

A Reason to Paint said...

Not even allowed to draw? I guess you could always give the boyfriend a crash course in drawing and then try dictating your ideas over the next 3 months ;)
Seriously though Hazel, it sounds like a very frustrating but timely wake up call. Hopefully the enforced rest will prove to be positive recharge time for you and you'll come back better than ever!

Anonymous said...

For the first time in several years, I am having a holiday.....

In several years? Hazel, that's not quite accurate. You've barely even rested on a Sunday for ten years! I'm glad you're having some time to refresh. Heaven knows what you'll achieve once you're revitalized.

MN

Lizzie W. said...

Having glimpsed the intensity with which you work at the opening of your last show in Melbourne, all I can say is that noone can keep up that level of drive 24 x 7. You have to pace yourself – and rest and restore from time to time – so that you have the reserves to keep your drive and enthusiasm thru a lifetime. Art is long, as they say.

Anonymous said...

There's old sailors and there's bold sailors but, there's no old bold sailors. Sometimes you have to drop the hook for a bit.

Take care,
-M

Simone Maynard said...

take care of yourself hazel. i hope u r able to enjoy a restful period.

Natalie said...

I've just found your blog and twitter, and feel like I have a few things in common with you. I've been told to take breaks, to rest, to heal my arm injury (acquired from drawing and working too much), but it's hard. I'm inclined not to want to take that advice because I don't know how to.

I wish all the best for you, I hope you can find some rest.