Monday, April 02, 2007

Show And Tell

Last night, I wanted to draw something. I had no particular ambition, so I didn't push it. It was just good to feel a couple of simple thoughts flow through my hand to the paper.
It struck me how much words mean to me. I read a lot but despite the influence of advertising and mass media on my early work, I used words in only one large, enamel piece – three letters: POW! It wasn't until I began using watercolours, ink and pencil on paper that words became elemental to my compositions. Drawn from my own and others' writings, they connected the psychological, sexual and spiritual turbulence within each image more specifically to my personal experience, forming an abstract narrative that somehow amplified the graphic depictions of sex, violence and ritual.

No comments: