Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I Want All This, Right Now

I have spent the last few days deep in thought about my life to date as an artist. I can't help feeling that I lost my bearings somewhere, several years ago, and I have been struggling with a growing dissatisfaction that now verges on disillusionment.
I want to create art that has some sort of quotidian meaning, art that is part of the everyday. I want to get back to the traditional artisan satisfaction of making things – functional things – just for the sake of it. I want to make different things, in different ways, and not necessarily anything that might be thought of as art but rather as an artefact. I want to photograph and document the process, recording the people and places and materials that are 'assembled' within the artefact. I don't even want to sell these things. Instead, I want to collect them and have the time to figure out what they mean to me and how they are connected with each other. Later, I might exhibit them. Or I might just give them away.
Finally, I want to make much larger works, not so much installations as imaginative environments, with which people can physically connect – stepping inside or climbing on them, looking, touching, feeling, listening. I want to make art that is part of a larger world: art with which people interact on a daily basis, art that collides with their lives or becomes a waypoint in their various, disparate emotional and intellectual journeys.
(As I was thinking about all this, I painted the lurid image above. I think I'll dedicate it to the well-known curator who recently expressed the view that curators and gallerists were what the art world was really about, as if the works themselves – forget about the artists! – were somehow merely incidental.)

2 comments:

Dave Moulton said...

I can relate, I came to the US in 1979 at age 43 feeling that life was passing me by.
Today, 30 years later I feel my best work is still ahead of me, and that I have all the time in the world.
Just keep creating and try not to analyse yourself, your art, or life too much
Dave
@exframebuilder on Twitter

Fogbound said...

What a great post. I see your unsettledness and frustration in it but I also see that you are moving creatively in new directions. Do it! Keep moving and creating. You mind and abilities are fantastic and you have the affirmation of many, including buyers of your work. Thanks for sharing from within. Your words encourage me as an artist.