Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Spirits Of Things

Recently, I hosted a small lunch for three women with whom I've become acquainted over the past year or so: Dr. Julianne Schultz, the founding editor of Griffith REVIEW, Katrina Schwarz, the editor of Art & Australia, and Clare Press, the features director of Vogue Australia. As I often do, I created a set of small drawings to give to my guests.
I've been immersed in a series of novels that often refer to Thai superstitions, particularly the Thais' belief that ghosts (and demons) linger at the edge of their everyday reality. I couldn't help but imagine some of the women I sketched in Pattaya as playful wraiths – indistinct, faceless, glancing off the edge of consciousness. I made three, light-hearted watercolours quickly. Without my thinking about it, the languid spirits in them took on aspects of the personalities of the women for whom each painting was intended.
Maybe I've my picked up my own Thai ghost to haunt my imagination.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to come to one of your lunches and not just for impressive guest list – but for the delightful works of art!

drips of paint said...

I'll be impressed if anyone done a watercolor simply as a gift for me...those are lovely little gem of watercolor...

but I can't help to wonder what do your 3 guest really feel having a gift of "ghost" image taking on their personality.

I know that the Thai movie industry like to do quite a few ghost horror movie and they are very much blockbuster in Thailand...now I think I know why the Thai like these type of movie.

A Reason to Paint said...

What a lovely idea - little watercolours as gifts - and the idea that we could each have our own playful ghost following us around!

Daniel Sanger said...

cool paintings:) Very free and playful.