Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Get A Piece Of Me

For the third time in the past two years, I am offering a free, unlimited edition print of one of my small, monochromatic works. This one is titled An Outline Of Kelly, Later (watercolour, lead pencil on cold pressed paper, 12cm x 19cm), and was derived from the earliest sketches for a series of six watercolours, Kelly, The First Time, exhibited at Art Melbourne's Renault New Generation Art, this year.
As before, the work can be viewed and downloaded free from my web site under a
Creative Commons license. It can then be reproduced for non-commercial purposes in any medium. If you'd like me to sign it, you have only to send the work with a self-addressed, stamped (with adequate postage) envelope to my studio address (which I'll provide if you email me at dooneystudio@gol.com).
The last time I did this, it caused a lot of ill-tempered discussion among artists and dealers who felt I was devaluing art by distributing it without cost or any intermediary control (read, gallery) to 'the masses'.
My response was pretty predictable: fuck 'em!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a smart, generous, wonderful idea! As for those who disagree, your response is perfect. Fuck 'em!

Tina Mammoser said...

Thank you for the wonderful image. I've only just discovered your blog but it's refreshing. You have a new fan. :)

I say to each their own - if it makes you happy distributing a free print then who's to say no? And if you want to look at it from a "business" viewpoint then surely it's a sort of viral marketing? The middlemen should be happy to have you doing that!

Personally I think we are artists to make images or things that reach out to people in some way. Your prints are reaching new people, different people, so kudos to you!