Monday, October 15, 2007

Hard Work

I've been fed up with everybody and everything this week. I've had to stand up for myself in countless small, annoying ways – with real estate agents, mobile 'phone companies, internet service providers, credit card service centers, and shop assistants. I want to hide out for a while.
It's a relief to be at home, drawing, with the music jammed up loud. The music is always rap. Rap was the soundtrack of my soul half a decade ago and now, when I'm down or when I feel at odds with the world, it reassures and inspires me. Rap is fighting music: uplifting, proactive, aggressive, hard.
Which is good for my work. It gets me so I don't give a toss what anyone thinks. I just do whatever the hell I want.

7 comments:

c1ph4 said...

yeah, I love rap too, so I know exactly what you mean.

I just wanted to say "thank you" for your explicit series and showing me that sex also is part of a girls mind. I found your site via

artnews

and of course I downloaded the free piece, which is covering my wall now. :-)

keep up, hazel!

with kind regards from germany

Neil said...

Hazel, was just wondering which rap artists in particular do you listen to whilst you work. Keep up the good work.

Neil

Hazel Dooney said...

a small sample... (mostly old stuff, lately)

Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos
by Public Enemy

9mm Goes Bang
by KRS-One

Cock The Hammer
by Cypress Hill

and the slightly more upbeat

MC's Act Like They Don't Know
by KRS-One

Hazel Dooney said...

oh, and

Paranoid
by Dizzee Rascal

Neil said...

Thanks for the list. I'm always interesting in what people are listening to music wise. I am always on the lookout for something new or old to listen to as I tend to get bored easily with my collection on iTunes.

This Painting Life said...

Hazel, this world drives me to screaming point daily, thankfully we do have our studios to shelter from the nutjobs, so I share your sentiments exactly! Do what you want and stuff the world, absolutely!

PS great idea re the print, dealers can stick their noses out of it...none of their business at all!

Ester said...

I completely empathize with these words right now, listening to fighting music, just to keep a little piece inside that is pure and not distracted by what others expect out of me.

I admire your expressiveness in your blog.