Sunday, October 07, 2007

Higher Studies

I'm surprised by the amount of interest there has been, this past year, in the material I create in advance of a painting. I find it hard to think of any of it as 'work', although my studies in acrylic on paper are almost as well executed as the final, large paintings in enamel on canvas or board. During the past couple of years, I have sold nearly all my early studies to galleries and private collectors, for prices ranging from $2,500 to $4,800.
After several enquiries from collectors, I also began selling my Polaroid 'sketches'. The first half a dozen were sold at my Venus In Hell show at MARS Gallery in Melbourne, in 2006, for around $350 each. Since then, I've sold maybe 30 more and prices have doubled. I don't really think of myself as a photographer but I'm pleased that these clumsy, comic, and sometimes downright embarrassing self-portraits appeal to people. Then again, maybe they just need a little light relief on their walls.

1 comment:

drips of paint said...

I could not believe it they are paying so much for your polorad but then I do not doubt your words...

This is a very attractive photo ... you are very sexy in this ... beautiful line