Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Other Side Of The Question

When I'm not making art, I like to write. I keep a sporadic diary and sometimes, if I feel strongly enough, I'll pen a couple of thousand words as a personal response to something to do with art. I don't think of myself as a writer, merely as someone who writes as a way of thinking out loud. However, my pieces have been published in the respected Australian literary journal, Griffith REVIEW, and even the Australian Financial Review (the local equivalent of The Wall Street Journal). Go figure.
Last year, I was one of the first artists to be invited to respond to a
lengthy Q&A with the founder of the then new Canadian alternative arts 'zine, Hoboeye. This year, I was surprised to be invited by the editor to interview an artist of my choice. So, given this was my first attempt, I decided to approach the one person I know who'd be most uncomfortable being described as an artist – or anything else for that matter. The result was a smart, unexpected exchange that is, if nothing else, a little different from the usual, jargon-laden monologues you get in most artist profiles. The only disappointment was that the 'zine decided against publishing some of the more confronting examples of the work (such as the Polaroid print, above).
P.S. If you read the interview, take a moment to download the (NSFW) digital book, Instant Pictures, from a link at the end of the page!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hazel,

Good job on the interview.
I like Creed's poem in hoboeye too.

-Malcho