Sunday, April 27, 2008

No Place Like Home

When I travel, I'm rarely as productive as I am when I spend every day in my studio. I like the predictable routine of working in the same place, especially when I have within it nearly everything I need to make art.
This journey has been different. I've taken photographs every day. I've kept up my personal diary and composed a few bad poems. Even more importantly, I've done lots of drawings, painted a handful of studies for large paintings, and filled pages of my sketchbooks with ideas for future works, including A New Canon Of 21st Century Saints (a section of an acrylic on paper study for St Kapri of Brooklyn Heights is pictured above). I've even found time to acquire some new creative skills – and refine old ones.
Still, I'm looking forward to being back in my own space, surrounded my own stuff, albeit just for a short while. I miss my books. I miss my satellite TV. I miss the comfort of a familiar bed, and the satisfaction from the familiar body that shares it with me. I miss home cooking. I miss drinking out of the kitchen tap. I miss the quiet.

No comments: