Friday, May 09, 2008

Happy Snaps

Today, out of the blue, Melbourne Art Rooms offered me a solo exhibition of my photography at the gallery from 29th July to 24th August, this year, to coincide with the Melbourne Art Fair. It will feature around 20 colour and black and white portraits shot originally as studies for paintings. Needless to say, the subjects are all young women in various states of undress, myself included.
I'm excited – and somewhat relieved – to have an opportunity to show in a medium other than painting. One of the reasons I've avoided showing anything, anywhere, for 18 months, even going so far as to reschedule dates in Japan and Europe to next year, is because I couldn't face what I've come to regard as the monotonous routine of assembling yet another group of paintings for public view. I had to take a break from it. These photographs are different: made recently, in South-East Asia and Australia, they express a freer, less disciplined, less technically proficient, and less predictable aspect of my creativity.
I'm looking forward to working in a lot of other unfamiliar media in the future. Maybe, for the first time in long while, I'll have some real fun with my art.

2 comments:

Simone Maynard said...

I look forward to the show Hazel. Great news.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations..im really intrigued to see your new work..