Sunday, May 18, 2008

Three-Way

Yesterday was my 300th 'blog entry. When I stop to think about it, over the past couple of years, writing has emerged as a medium in which I express myself with almost as much consistency (and certainly just as much joy) as I do in painting or photography.
Now I'm getting the chance to combine all three.
Last week, I had lunch with Julianne Schultz, editor of Australia's most respected quarterly, GRIFFITH Review. She invited me to contribute both a written and a photographic essay as well as cover art for its November issue, MoneySexPower. It's a perfect fit for me. Money, sex and power relate to many of my favorite themes – and not just as an artist. The cover will feature one of my Dangerous Career Babes, The Trophy Wife, inspired by Tony Montana's line from the film Scarface: "When you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."
The study of The Trophy Wife, in acrylic on paper (50cm x 60cm), will be given away in a GRIFFITH Review competition for new subscribers. The photographic essay will document the creation of the work, from the first study Polaroids of the model to the various stages of sketching and painting. The 2,000 word piece I've written is, naturally enough, about sex and imagination and the power both exert over me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hazel,

Good on you!!!
Can't wait to check it all out!!

-M

artpunk said...

Congratulations on your 300th post Hazel!! keep on blogging and stay healthy, happy and creative!
Cam
:-)>

drips of paint said...

have always enjoy your writing