Friday, June 06, 2008

Overload

I've been in bed with the flu. Or, rather, I'm telling everyone who asks it's the flu. I suspect that it's actually some kind of existential malaise, an exhaustion caused by too much contact with the world – and maybe not enough meaningful connection with my imagination – over the past couple of months. After all, I am, by nature, something of a hermit. I don't respond well to too much social immersion.
I get like this in Asia, where it's hard to get away from the urban press of people and the pervasive, high-pitched dissonance of traffic, bar music and loud chatter. It's less usual when I'm holed up at home in Australia.
I've switched off my mobile phone. I'm ignoring my emails. I'm not answering the door. I have enough food in the fridge to get me through the weekend. I'm going to watch TV and thumb through some magazines. In between, I'll sleep.

1 comment:

drips of paint said...

have a good rest ...
nice weekend