Friday, September 26, 2008

The Divan Miss Vandal

I've been unusually depressed and unmotivated – as if I'd lost some part of myself. I've been trying to get it back.
This morning, I spray-painted the mattress of my day-bed. It's the first piece of furniture I bought, a few years ago, and it sits in the middle of my studio. I sprawl on it when I paint watercolours, read or hang out with my boyfriend.
It was liberating to decide to paint on the spur of the moment, for no reason – to paint badly, to not lay anything down beforehand. to not test the paint first, to not care if the colours were slightly off. I used up some cans that I've had laying around for months, a mixture of Krylon, Multona, Belton Special, a lone Plasti-Kote (the only can that no longer worked, despite being full), and a weird hardware brand labeled Fiddly Bits. Sometimes I use spray in small amounts on my enamel paintings when I want a soft line or spray finish.
W
hen the paint ran out, I finished up with a fat marker. It was really ugly, like I wanted it to be.
Later, I realised that I'd had a deep need to paint something for the hell of it, something that would be used and abused, something no-one could sell, something that was devalued because I'd painted it not the other way around. Besides, it was a relief not to have everything so pristine in my studio. For a while, I felt obligated to make sure everything was nice because I'm an adult now and can afford high quality, store-bought stuff after years of being totally broke. But I prefer to have things that I make around, especially if it's not art.
Anyway, vandalising my own furniture has peaked my interest in painting again. I think I might stock up on cans, and some other cool mark-making things I found at Molotow's online shop . I like using a medium that's not 'fine art'. I like not always having to make 'fine art'. With spray and markers, everything's more immediate – and undeniably more fun.

1 comment:

artcanyell said...

"Later, I realised that I'd had a deep need to paint something for the hell of it, something that would be used and abused, something no-one could sell, something that was devalued because I'd painted it..."

Funny, cause I think all my attempts at art would fulfill such a mission .. as soon as someone came into my house, saw something on the wall and guessed that I painted it, it was devalued :-) Its all off the walls now and hidden in dark corners