Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Place Your Bets

One of the several reasons my work has increased markedly in value is that, although my collector base is quite wide, individual works are tightly held. Few works, other than small enamels and works on paper, reach the secondary market and as I'm not represented by any commercial galleries, very little is available anywhere, even in my own studio's stockroom. Less than half a dozen of my paintings have ever been sold at auction, all of them over the past year at either Menzies Art Brands in Sydney and Melbourne or at Christie's in London. All have achieved their estimates and over half have exceeded them.
Next month, Menzies will offer Drowned Ophelia (pictured above), an early enamel on canvas painting, 1.0 metres x 1.5 metres, first shown at the Jan Murphy Gallery in Brisbane in 1999 and sold a year or so later for just $A1,200. The auction house's estimate is $A10,000 to $A14,000 and this range will be tested at Menzies' sale rooms at 12 Todman Avenue, Kensington, in Sydney, on 10th and 11th December. Another of my works of this approximate age and size attracted bids of around $A14,000 at auction, last year.
Drowned Ophelia will be available to view in Melbourne from the 27th to the 30th November and in Sydney on the 4th to 9th December. For more details, visit the
Menzies Art Brands web site.

1 comment:

artcanyell said...

I googled Roy Lichtenstein just now and saw his "Drowning Girl" 1953 which immediately referred my mind to Hazel's "Drowned Ophelia" and they both feature Klein blue at least to my perception not having seen either in original form. Although I may have seen the Lichtenstein original at a retrospective of his work in Munich about 15 years ago and in fact an elderly Mr Lichtenstein was there in person. I saw him chatting to people and wanted to say hello but was too shy then some several months or maybe a year or so later I read that he had died.