Friday, November 28, 2008

Under Cover Contentment

Although I'm still something of a neophyte in the auction business, it appears that I've graduated to a better section of the catalogue.
I received the book for the upcoming Deutscher-Menzies/Lawson-Menzies sale (in Sydney, on December 10th) today.
In the past, my paintings have been listed in the back of the catalogue, somewhere where the lot numbers are firmly into three figures.
This time, my early enamel painting, Drowned Ophelia, is Lot 13 (you have to click the image to see an unpixelated version). It is among the first 76 – in an initial section given to more established artists – of a total of 251 works offered at the sale. Instead of being next to another boring David Bromley in the catalogue it follows modest works by major international artists such as Andy Warhol and Damien Hirst and is surrounded by the works of major Australian artists who are either dead or older than me by 30 to 60 years.
The work
is estimated to sell for between $A10,000 to $A14,000.
Catalogue placement doesn't guarantee a positive result in an economic crisis – far from it – but I'm incredibly happy that an established, well-regarded auction house considers my reputation solid enough to position my work in this way. It's a really satisfying public affirmation of both the work I've put into both my art and my decision, two years ago, to work outside the gallery system. No matter what happens at the sale, it's a good sign.

2 comments:

Leila Anasazi said...

Funny, the subtle measurements of success and power. So glad for you--& happy that you celebrate this.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! Although I'm sure you don't need it.

Stay true to you.