Sunday, December 28, 2008

Writes Of Passage

I've been asleep for the last five days, a result of a bone-deep, emotional weariness and over-exposure to enamel's toxic reek. During my brief spells of consciousness, I've daydreamed about my art and where I would like to go with it next.
More than anything, I want to get my output up to speed with my ideas. The repetitiveness of working on the Dangerous Career Babes series during the past eighteen months (even without the added tedium of having done them first in oil on canvas, then in enamel on board – twice) has leached my life of variety and a sense of adventure.
Now I'm haunted by all the ideas I've left unrealised. With the last of the enamels due to be delivered early next year, I'm impatient to revisit and explore these neglected ideas in new and different media.
I've been inspired lately by the work of Andy Goldsworthy and his use of natural, site specific materials. And I return, again and again, to Eva Hesse. Often, painters who sculpt makes three dimensional versions of their drawings but Hesse's sculptures were much more. They developed not only the look of her drawings but also the ideas within them.
I'm even inspired by Julian Schnabel's work in film. I made a few experimental videos during my brief stay at art school. Indeed, the medium was my main focus – painting came much later. I'm curious to see what happens when I return to it.
I'm making notes and sketches in various workbooks, in preparation. But before I immerse myself in the visual again, I want to write.
This blog has caused me to reflect on of the role writing plays in my work. I like to test ideas in words (both orally and written) and as I review my recent sketch books, many pages are filled with text. Instead of drawing ideas, it would appear that I work them out in words: they conjure up a more complete and complex image. Often, in a half-formed sketch, I can't remember at all the idea I was trying to get at.
Words have also been important in my recent watercolours. I like the depth they add, both in texture and meaning. They also create a greater intimacy and, maybe, understanding for the viewer.
I want to explore writing as a medium in itself, for a while. It's possible that I will even have a paid opportunity to do so. When it comes to my career, I've been blessed by good timing and a degree of luck.

6 comments:

Walkin' Gardener said...

I'm sure that you don't even know how good are your writings. You are just a little obsessed with money but It's worth the pain to walk along the path and become a successfull and renowed writer.

Hazel Dooney said...

Not obsessed with money at all. But having the freedom to make the art I want, when I want, the way I want, costs money and I have fought fucking hard for that freedom.

Anonymous said...

You sure are a great artist. I just read your posts. That's all. Have a nice day. Walkin Gardner

Dave said...

This is probably a dumb question, but I figured out a while back that if I asked the dumb question, someone else would always say "yeah, how come...". So anyways. Have you looked into installing some kind of air system to recycle the air and suck those enamel fumes out of the air you're breathing? I know it's possible, but is it so prohibitively expensive it can't be done?

Tosha said...

text/writing brings a whole new power dynamic into your work. afterall, knowledge is power and words are the tools. language proves this. you have an elegance in your writing, and a style that really explores, in quite a clever and compelling way, your relationship to the world through your art.

fish said...

I view realized work as similar to what has been expressed consciously (come into light) and unrealized work as similar to the subconscious (dormant). Since all experience is swept into the subconscious there will always be unrealized works. This is what drives me. These works emerge in many ways and I too find words help me tap out meaning and depth. What pushes to the surface is full of meaning, keep expressing it!