Thursday, January 08, 2009

Good Tidings, Post-Christmas

Today I started opening a two-week-old cache of letters (not all of them bills) and packages found buried under the ankle-deep mess of papers and art materials in my study.
I started with the smallest. The envelope was thick, purple, with the texture of silk. Inside, attached to a hand-made card, was a Christmas tree ornament. Tiny glass beads were sewn invisibly on luxurious felt. They caught the light with every small movement. This unexpected gift brought home to me the real beauty of Christmas – a beauty that gets lost in the materialism and burdensome familial expectations of the season. It made me feel as if Christmas could be something lovely, after all.
Thank you, V.G.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such a beautiful response.

Your very welcome Hazel.

VG

Anonymous said...

I meant "You're very welcome Hazel"

had food poisoning recently and its affected my brain i think :-)

VG