Sunday, March 22, 2009

Painter's Block

Sometimes, no matter how well-conceived a painting is, it fails to come to life on the canvas (or, in my case, board). It can be a matter of composition, choice of colours or a combination of several elements that don't quite coalesce the way I'd expected. It can take a while to figure out what the problem is.
In the past, I used to get frustrated and abandon the work. I'd just throw it away. Now I'm smarter. And more patient. I wait. Eventually, the painting itself begins to tell me what's wrong and in most cases, I can fix it.
For the past ten days, I've been working on a study for a new painting. I was pretty happy with it right up until I finished applying the largest areas of colour. Then I wasn't. I wasted several hours tinkering with it until around midnight, last night, I realised what the problem was.
This morning, I'll strip away everything I've done over the past few days – not to start again exactly but to finish differently.

2 comments:

MB said...

"This morning, I'll strip away everything I've done over the past few days – not to start again exactly but to finish differently."

great perspective, this. it really resonates, and is incredibly pragmatic and optimistic. i'm gonna paraphrase it and use it for myself, substituting "years" for "days". in flux there are possibilities, and thus, life to be lived.

Bull in the Basement said...

I love your writing , I understand as I can some of your discovery.