Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Price Is Right

Well my work didn't break any records at auction tonight – no works by artists under 40 did – but at least none were passed in.
Quite the opposite. Two were sold within the narrow range of the auctioneer's estimate: Bird Of Prey for $A10,800 (estimate $10,000 to $14,000) and Sports Babe:The Boxer (Resized For Easy Consumption) for $4,320 (estimate $4,000 to $5,000). Sports Babe: The Basketballer (Resized For Easy Consumption) exceeded its upper estimate of $5,000 by $280.
Am I pleased? Well, I'm not disappointed. I would have loved my prices to reflect more than just resilience – although given the awful and still declining economic environment, resilience is good. Besides, the prices achieved were hardly peanuts.
Now I am going to put them out of my mind completely. Tomorrow, I'll get up early and have a coffee on my verandah overlooking the sea. Then I'll begin drawing and painting new work, reminding myself that the wild crap shoot of a major art auction can be a lot of fun (even if you're just breaking even) but it has fuck-all relevance to what art is really about.

3 comments:

matt said...

Hazel, well done though. Can't explain but I want to make your portrait. I shouldn't ask here publicly but privately. Your art is so open and honest. Refreshing. It releases us pent-up creative types. enjoy your coffee

Harlan said...

I think there are a lot of us artists and photographers who would love to do a portrait of Hazel. I know she hates competitions but maybe she should be an Archibald SUBJECT!

Hazel Dooney said...

Matt, thanks for your sweet suggestion but I am not really a cooperative subject for others to photograph – unless i'm directing!