Monday, May 11, 2009

Late Night, Reworking

I was up until 3 a.m., last night, refining a drawing for an early Dangerous Career Babe. I'd decided some time ago to repaint The Wrestler. I was unhappy with the way the large silver skull had turned out – the silver paint lacked the hard, pristine surface of the surrounding colours. I also wanted something more in the composition – but just what exactly took me a year or so to figure out.
As I worked, I exchanged emails with a researcher in the art department of GQ Italia. The men's fashion magazine is publishing a brief interview with me about the sexual politics of my art – can you imagine an Australian fashion magazine even considering the subject? – and the art director wanted to feature one of the more provocative in my series of watercolours,
Kelly, The First Time.
"Is that you in the picture?" the researcher asked.
The interviewer, a woman, had asked me whether the reason the figures in my work were almost always female was because of my "sexual orientation". I'd had to stifle a giggle.

1 comment:

vyzion360 said...

This piece is amazing, and very powerful. I couldn't help but stare at it for a while ... speechless ...

Thank you for sharing your work ...