Thursday, May 14, 2009

Art Business. Business Art.

I've been drawing and painting at a frustratingly slow pace these past couple of days. Because of that and indecision over a choice of colours for The Wrestler (El Luchador) – one of the first Dangerous Career Babes to be completed, I decided to rework it a little before delivering it to its very patient Melbourne-based buyer – I'm now running a couple of days behind on the detailed work schedule I devised at the end of last week.
Still, I'm regaining a degree of order to my practice. After an horrendous series of mishaps that all but ruined a dozen near-completed works, last year, my re-organised studios are now highly disciplined and productive. The quality of what I like to think of as their artisanship has radically improved too.
The administration of my sales and marketing is slicker. Collectors, dealers, curators and suppliers are managed with a lot more care and receive clearer, more regular communication, even when I'm not around to supervise.
I can't claim sole responsibility for this. I've had the counsel of a couple of much older, much wiser heads. I'm given no quarter when my head is stuck either deep in the sand or far up my own ass.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Hazel, your organisation sounds so good that it would fit right into one of my stats formulas!!! ;) LOL
Way to go - gives uncluttered creative time.

Jet Girl said...

I can barely manage to take my birth control every night at the same time much less ever keep to a disciplined art schedule. Mad props!

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to hear which Australian curators you've worked with and/or find your work interesting. Could you shed some light for us?

Hazel Dooney said...

This is referred to in other parts of this blog. And who are you?