Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lost And Found

The re-organisation of my store room is almost complete. I now know where everything is – or will be – and it's all labeled: watercolour paper, complete and partially finished sketches, tools, boxes of archived work and files. Maybe more importantly, it's easy to put everything away. With more people working at my home and studio, it's essential that everything has its 'proper place'. I can't afford the time I used to waste searching for things.
I've already found various things I thought I'd lost: a Polaroid camera, film, drawings from 10 years ago, a tripod, old exhibition invitations – the list continues to grow.
I've also found a small number of incomplete drawings and watercolours. I left them unfinished because I was stuck or thought I'd ruined them. Once, I would have torn them up or thrown them away but thankfully, my boyfriend talked me out of it. I feel very differently now that I'm no longer so emotionally wrought by a sense of frustration or failure. I'm actually excited to see them again and I'm already thinking about revisiting each – maybe finishing the works and developing the original idea fully.
I don't want to forget any of my artworks or ideas anymore. And I don't want to leave anything unfinished. It's vital – in every sense of the word – that I can refer to my past from time to time as well as find all the various tools I need.

5 comments:

Pamela Detlor said...

Awesome! Art treasures are the best sort of treasure. That is the neatest room I've ever seen. I am officially horrified by the state of my storage room. I will try to do better!

Cheers!

Pamela

sue beyer said...

Wow, that looks fantastic. all the shelves and boxes etc

Susan Buret said...

looks like my dream studio

mondotrasho said...

I think Mom deserves a night at her favourite restaurant. Oh BTW thank you for the "Limited Edition Print" Hazel. The package arrived at Wigtads in Winnipeg yesterday. Sweet. The reaction in the studio (we're a bunch drongo boys between the ages 35-45) was palpable if not somewhat visceral. "That's Hazel?!" She's the acid, a beaut and a gun to boot.
~m

Julie Bernstein Engelmann said...

I appreciate your insight into the vitality of drawing upon old work. As an artist about to give away and repaint some old work cluttering up my studio racks, I was concerned not to cross the line into throwing away my value. You have added your clear perspective - coming from a place of satisfying success - to my ponderings.