Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Paper Work

I've spent the day working on a large, 'one off' watercolour for a collector in Melbourne, an unusual work derived from a ten-year-old series of enamels, Accoutrements Of Desire. I did have a clear idea of what I wanted to achieve in it. However, because I'm tired, I'm over-working the image – fussing over unnecessary details, painting too much and too carefully – so it's turning out a little differently than I'd first imagined.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing. In any case, it's relaxing to be working on a much smaller work (just 40cm by 60cm), on paper rather than heavy timber board, in a more forgiving and less sick-making medium than enamel. As evening draws near, I'm beginning even to have (gulp) fun.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's easy to overwork watercolor, and the paper makes all the difference. That medium has some die-hard purists: some say that using masking liquid is cheating, that real watercolorists don't use pencil/ink.

Glad to hear you're doing a variety of work. It's good for the eyes & the mind.

Anonymous said...

Ah, 'rules'. Artists do SO well when they abide by them. Not.