Sunday, July 19, 2009

Breaking The Surface

I took a couple of weeks away from, well, everything. When I came back, my digital inboxes were overflowing with reminders that for better or worse, my career has a life of its own and doesn't always need me around to keep it occupied.
The first email I opened was from Sotheby's. They wanted permission to reproduce one of my earliest paintings, Ultra Violet One, in the catalogue for their Important Australian Art sale in Melbourne, on August 24th. The next two were from collectors asking my help to sell three other works: my very first, The Moment Before Having, as well as two of my most favourite, The Cherry Picker, and Dangerous Career Babe: The Terrorist.
It struck me that this is the first time in a decade that so many of my works have been available at once, other than during an exhibition – thanks not just to a difficult local economy but also the widely publicised high prices my paintings have attracted at auction over the past couple of years. Unfortunately, these prices have also encouraged inexperienced sellers to expect huge multiples on what they originally paid for my work, regardless of its quality.
There were also a handful of requests for interviews. I didn't really feel like putting my 'game face' on for the mainstream media but I was happy to take on ten questions posed by one of my favourite bloggers, the renowned American artist, cartoonist and writer, Hugh MacLeod. My answers felt like something of a manifesto for my happier, more determined state of mind – and a perfect way to announce my return to the virtual space that is (almost) as important to me as my studio. You can read them at Hugh's Gaping Void.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back. ur tweets and blogs have been missed. all the more appreciated now after the absence.

veegee

Zoe said...

Happy to see you return to this space. Hope the 'settling in' period is invigorating...

Martha A. Wade said...

Hazel, I really love reading your Blog (just subscribed) and your website is amazing! Your depth and honesty about the REAL feelings that we have being a woman/ artist/human inspire me, even in my darkest moments. You remind me to not be afraid of expressing myself fully and unashamed. Thanks for being you ;)

Martha @wadecreate

Walt Pascoe said...

Glad you did the interview w/ Hugh. Very inspiring. Besides, I only have one real Aussie mate in the U.S., and don't hear "fuck-all" near often enough :)

Paul Martin said...

The 10 Qs & As are a nice read.