Monday, July 27, 2009

User Unfriendly

A handful of unpleasant or uncomfortable encounters – some in the 'real world', some virtual – have put me off having too much to do with people, at least for the time being. I know I'm not particularly 'user-friendly' but I'm unfailingly restrained and polite when dealing with strangers. This posture is usually reciprocated. But there are those who take advantage of random encounters to patronise, insult or inflict puerile crudeness.
They usually argue that my art or my written words are some kind of provocation.
There's not much I can do about it except ignore them. On Twitter, I don't hesitate to block anyone who comes across as an arsehole. I'm a little easier here: I won't tolerate gratuitous insults (even between commenters) but strong criticism or dispute is likely to be published as long as it's not anonymous. Just don't expect me to respond.

4 comments:

nathe said...

Just remember that no one is forced to look at your work. They must be looking and responding for a reason. You win! You win before they even open their mouths.

Rocket said...

From one stranger to another, I read your post and the word copacetic popped into my head. Nathe is right, you win you win.

Don Guitar said...

Sometimes the way you feel about yourself or your work is temporarily eclipsed by someone else's negative opinion. Our innate need for approval is hardwired and inescapable but so is our need for balance. Negativity can have no more power than you give it. Don't be so generous. :)

Angela Hunt said...

I'm sorry you had to put up with that. It appears to be going around. Apparently Troll Disease is very bad this week.