Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Briefly, On My Birthday

My birthday was, by choice, low key. I took the phone off the hook, logged off my computer and stayed in bed to catch up on a few weeks of lost sleep. It was the best gift I could have wished for.
There were other gifts, not least a bottle of a hot, 'Dooney' pink ink called
Shah's Rose with which I am going to write everything, even my cheques, from now on.
I have mixed feelings about birthdays, especially as I get older. I don't have any hang-ups about my fading youth (although my fading good looks might be another matter). Rather, as each year passes, I become more acutely aware of how much I've taken time for granted – and how many precious opportunities I've let slip through my fingers, often without even appreciating them.
I'm not going to waste a minute of the rest of my life.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Happy belated birthday. Here is to many more years of living.

Paul Martin said...

Rest is not a waste of time. Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday fellow Leo

VeeGee

Tina Mammoser said...

Happy birthday!

I'm not big on them either. Just take each day afresh. Sleep is a necessary ingredient for that. :)

Mike Wood said...

Happy Belated birthday. :)

I am enjoying reading your blog this morning/afternoon at my Mcjob (in reference to another post you did, I am where you were 5 years ago before regaining confidence). You have a lot of really good things to say and I have recommended the blog to other artist friends.