Monday, August 24, 2009

Sotheby's Sale Update

Despite a damaged surface, one of my early paintings, Ultra Violet One, sold for $7,800, plus GST, at Sotheby's sale of Important Australian Art in Melbourne, tonight. This was just under Sotheby's generous pre-sale estimate of between $A8,000 and $A12,000, which might have been achieved had the painting been in flawless condition.
In any case, tonight's price was over six times what was originally paid for the work at my first commercial gallery show, eleven years ago.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Has the new owner taken up your offer to repair the damage?

Anonymous said...

The offer to repair was not conveyed by the auctioneer during the proceedings, but perhaps privately later to the actual buyer it may have been. If so, Hazel will be contacted by the buyer in due course I would think. I saw the work and it looked wonderful anyway. The few barely perceptible scratches more on the outer of the image did not detract from the artwork. I could only see them when I looked very closely and I thought they added a little age and dignity to it, giving it a look of having lived a bit. Why botox it new and young again?

Anonymous said...

The dignity of defiance I should have said - not that the painting does not possess that quality already but surviving a touch of wear and tear gives it more strength and a look of solid durability. 'Dignity' does sound kind of aloof and staid and that is definitely not Dooney. The perfectionist in Hazel would naturally prefer it in pristine mint condition again.

me

Anonymous said...

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in"

me

Anonymous said...

apparently a lot of significant artworks were passed in at Deutscher Menzies fine art auction last night but they made money. The Age article on it this morning mentions that Sothebys and Goodmans had more lots sold recently as they had been priced ready to sell at lower estimates. It is a tough market.

veegee