Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Talking To Myself?

After a hard, frustrating week at the enamel factory, I had to take a few days off. I avoided logging onto my computer or answering my 'phones. I tried not to think about anything to do with art. If it hadn't been for a diligent assistant, I might have missed an email from Mark McGuinness, co-founder of Lateral Action, letting me know that he had just posted a long interview he had done with me on his site.
In many ways, this is a 'companion' piece to an interview I did with Hugh McLeod, of Gaping Void, just three months ago. It develops my argument (which risks becoming something of a manifesto) for artists' increased independence from the 'traditional' gallery system. It even takes its title from the new sub-title of this blog – Art Is War – to convey, in part, the rigour and commitment such independence demands to make it successful.
I look forward to reading artists' and galleries' reactions to the interview, either at Lateral Action or here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Art is War"

... and as Gandhi once said, "an eye for an eye only makes the world blind".

Anonymous said...

Hi Hazel,

Maybe he meant 'playful' in a Gogo Yubari
kinda way.

-M

b/rood said...

I don't think Gandhi would have argued that he was at the centre of a war when he was alive. It was the way he chose to fight it that was different – just as Dooney's doing.

Julie said...

I just read the article. I have no idea what kind of artist I am. I just know there is a creative passion that has simmered my entire life that is emerging. I'm writing because some artist friends, and a twitter friend said I should. I found the Lateral Action site by googling about art. I am taking a creative writing class this month. I don't have objectives, though. I just know I want to be immersed in art in all of its forms. I have always loved art. I have bought a few inexpensive pieces, and both of them I had incredible connections with the artist, both of whom I met at the shows, one in Denmark, one in USA. The experience made me feel like I wouldn't want to buy art that I hadn't discussed with the artist. This is ironic, because, until now, the art I collected was 18th & 19th century country made furniture! Hope I haven't droned on, just felt a huge connection when I read the interview. I am going to explore your website more, and I started following you on Twitter. Most of the immense change I have recently experienced came about because of social networking, interestingly. Ta Ta!

JenXer said...

(Apologies if this double posts.)

I've been talking about you to my husband for weeks now, but it wasn't until yesterday, after he read the interview, that he GOT why I am inspired by how you have put the control of your art career where it belongs- in your own hands.

To re-appropriate what that misguided gallerist once told you, "Whatever you do, don't change your style."

Mark McGuinness said...

Thanks Hazel for sharing your ideas and experience at Lateral Action.

To judge from the comments and the reaction on Twitter, you've really touched a chord with our readers.

Angela N. Hunt said...

I love both interviews and find them hugely inspirational. If there's a manifesto in there, let it out.

I will admit that I do struggle in finding a way to get my work out into the world, Web 2.0 or not. So knowing that it's not in vain, that helps. Because sometimes, I feel like I'm shouting into the wilderness.