Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Talk, Talk

I woke in the middle of the night.
Without thinking, I climbed out of bed, pulled on a t-shirt and padded down the hallway to the studio. I sat on the teak daybed there and picked up a small digital video camera I keep on the coffee table. I balanced it on my knee, auto-focussed the lens on my face and pressed the record button.
Then I began to talk.
I talked to the camera as if it were my closest friend. I lost track of the time. I just kept talking until I ran out of things to say.
I'll do the same tonight and at other times over the next several days.
These impromptu monologues have nothing to do with emotional or psychological therapy. Rather, they're the seeds of something (as yet undefined) that might grow into a new artwork.
The last time I experimented with low res' digital video – producing a couple of short, clumsy pieces, Self Love and D.I.Y. Obscurity – was nearly a decade and a half ago.
I'm want to immerse myself in it again for a while to see what I can come up with.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like you are on to something exciting! I look forward to seeing what comes from it.

d.edlen said...

I thought of a question for you today. We both have blogs with lots of posts. You do a really good job of referring Twitter followers back to prior posts with well-said self commentary. My question is, do you remember all your posts and know when you're thinking of something that relates to one, or do you continually go back and re-read them, finding ones you like and then tweet them?

Peace.

Anonymous said...

I've recorded myself talking on video but I haven't thought of it as art. I look forward to seeing your sound and vision in a gallery screening. I will buy the DVD if you sell it/them. Sounds exciting.

vg