Monday, December 14, 2009

Life Is On The Wire

I dropped off the grid for a week. I needed time and space to think.
Things change. Ideas change. I change. It was time to take account of this. It was also time to stop and take some bearings on the trail I've been cutting through a new frontier, far from the brain-numbing hubbub of an art system dominated by commercial galleries and institutional curators.
I've continued to collaborate with this creaky, regurgitative system from time to time but it's left me unhappy. I can't have anything more to do with it except on terms I dictate.
I am realistic enough to recognise that as long as my art is bought and sold by collectors and I depend on its value to make not just a living but more art, I'll never be able to disconnect myself from the 'market'.
My paintings Dangerous Career Babe: The Terrorist and Buck (from Slightly Indecent) will be auctioned at 6:30pm this Wednesday, 16th December, at Menzies Art Brands in Sydney.
The final previews are today and tomorrow. I've been thinking of going – the works above are two of my favourites and I'd like to see them one more time before they disappear.
As usual, I have pre-auction nerves. Unlike some local artists, I don't have a rich husband or a representative gallery to bid secretly for my works and ensure the buoyancy of my prices. I don't bid for it myself, either. In the auction room, as everywhere else, I perform without a net.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

Annie Paul said...

wow, thanks for letting us in on all this. will watch with interest.

Aaron B. Brown said...

Luck to you in the coming auction.

When you're name and reputation stand for something, and your artwork speaks for itself, there is no need for operatives or clandestine methods of inflating or exaggerating interest in your pieces. You've already succeeded in creating genuine interest and done your job in the studio.

Now is your opportunity to sit back relax with a glass of wine and watch those well-deserved rewards for your labors find you. A chance to observe the look on people's faces, the joy a winning bid will bring when someone has the opportunity to take home a Dooney original.

It sounds exciting, I'd like to be there to see it.

Rob Reeves said...

Yes, sadly you can't stand against the system you depend upon no matter how much you might want to. I know... I work for an insurance/annuities company during the day. I hate the industry, but am dependent on it to pay bills and make more Art.
Best of luck on your auction. Your reputation has a life of its own and will serve you well when the time comes.

Adelaide Damoah said...

Best of luck for the auction, I am sure the pieces will do very well.

Best

Adelaide