Sunday, April 25, 2010

Retail Therapy

Ten days after my discharge from hospital, I should have expected my optimism to falter, my momentum to slow. The loss on Friday of my artworks and other personal stuff hurt more than I'd thought it would. I spent a day burrowed under the bed covers, wallowing in self-pity.
When I crawled out again, I decided to turn my hotel room into more of a home. I rented a car and drove across town to a sprawling Ikea store where I bought folding closet organisers, small drawers for clothing and shoes, door-hung stowage for bathroom accessories, and a laundry basket. Plain, compact, functional pieces of Scandinavian design, they made my limited spaces instantly more livable. Better yet, when I move again, they can be taken down, folded and put in a bag.
I also bought lemon-scented candles, a small vase and, from a nearby market, a selection of freshly cut, pale pink and cream roses.
Back at the hotel, I re-arranged the furniture to create a better area in which to work. I set up my printer/scanner and organised my files in a box beneath my make-shift desk. By the time I was done, my dark mood had subsided and the determination that had driven me to accomplish so much last week had re-asserted its grip.

14 comments:

Aaron B. Brown said...

I think shopping therapy works on everybody. :)

Neo said...

Nothing. I'm just really happy. The way you're coming alive again is something I find words too shallow to describe but basically, a kind of strength only Dooney has. :)

Karen Martin Sampson said...

When I am down I allow a certain length of time to have a personal pity party and then make myself get active; housework, a walk, reorganizing stuff, all these are great ways to recover. You are doing so well, Hazel! I don't really know you but have watched your recent difficulties and how you have handled things with courage. As my son would say...you are AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

good job. Being portable does not mean living like a transient. Set some roots but keep them shallow for now....

Jason said...

Hazel,

May I contact you directly about something?

Jason

Hazel Dooney said...

'Jason': Not if I can't check on who you are beforehand.

RaymondRoman said...

There's nothing like hiding from the world under your covers.

Jason said...

Hazel,

Gotcha and understood. I apologize for the strange request. I don't have much by way of a formal introduction, but this is me:

http://evilchimpo.wordpress.com

http://www.facebook.com/evilchimpo

I wanted to ask permission to make you something.

Jason

Hazel Dooney said...

The email address here is the best way to do it. Thanks for understanding my caution. http://hazeldooney.com/Hazel_Dooney_Contact.asp

Rachelle Mee-Chapman said...

Hazel,

I feel humbled to be able to read your journey on line like this as it unfolds. Although I don't know you, I feel decidedly proud of you. You just keep facing into the next moment, which is such a powerful and truthful act.

I'm glad you are here.

Rachelle from Magpie Girl

Angela Hunt/Hunt Press said...

Never underestimate the power of making your space livable and beautiful. I buy myself flowers every week for the very reason of just keeping my mood level.

You're doing great, Hazel.

Brandon said...

Yes, ditto on Rachelle's comment. The world is more interesting with you in it and out and about.

Debra said...

I am amazed at how we can pull strength we didn't know we had right out of our ass. Quite a few years ago,I lost everything in a bankruptcy battle. The children didn't quite understand, so they just rolled with it. I did the same. Looking back on that time, I don't really remember the details...and I suppose that's because I focused on what was ahead and how to build a better world for me and my kids. Now we are grateful for what we have, and appreciate the strength that we were able to find in our darkest moments.
Stay focused on the future and keep busy with what's important to you NOW!
Good times are ahead, Hazel. You, like so many of us, are a survivor.

evilchimpo said...

Hazel,

That's cool. The fuck up was mine for not taking the time to fill out and make my profile visible. Sent an email last night.

Jason