Wednesday, May 26, 2010

No Forwarding Address

I am travelling.
This morning, I put the larger fragments of my hotel-bound life into cardboard boxes and stored them in my studio. The rest I packed into a carry-on duffel bag, along with my computer, a sketchpad and a couple of books (an hour or two lost in an airport lounge is the best excuse to catch up with reading).
I can't help but be bothered by the large amount of work I am leaving unfinished. It'll haunt me until I return but there's little I can do about it. This trip was unexpected, an ill-timed imposition. It couldn't be side-stepped or postponed. I won't have much time to myself until the end of the weekend.
At least being on the move again is something of a novelty. Three months of confinement in a clinic at the beginning of the year has been followed by two months of a different kind of confinement , a circuitous routine – hotel to gym to studio to hotel – designed to ease myself back into an ascetic self-discipline and maintain my hard-won sanity. I feel a slightly giddy recklessness, a sense of having made good an escape, as I make my way to the check-in counter at Virgin Blue's Sydney terminal.
I'll be back in a few days.

3 comments:

fotis skordou said...

Have a great Trip!!

Mike Wood said...

Enjoy your travels. I hope you return full of inspiration and ideas.

Solemn Reverie said...

happy travels