Thursday, May 27, 2010

Renewed Originals

At the beginning of this year, I destroyed many of my works – including a few I didn't own – in an act of self-negating despair. Others were lost with the closure of the two studios in which I had worked for the past two and a half years.
Among them were a score of acrylic studies. Rich in colour, with exacting line-work, they were beautifully rendered versions of my most recent series of enamel paintings. In each, the image was reduced to a uniform dimension of approximately 60cms by 40cms on heavyweight, Italian-made, cold-pressed paper.
I was reminded of how much I miss these works when, last month, Melbourne Art Rooms (aka MARS Gallery) included three gallery-owned studies of my early paintings in a group exhibition of works on paper. Priced at $A6,000.00, two were sold on opening night.
Over the past couple of years, a dozen or so other studies, all of them early works, have found their way into the local secondary market, priced between $A4,000 and $A6,500 apiece. However, the majority are held in a private collection in Adelaide.
I have long since given up trying to buy back my favourites.
Several recent requests from collectors have prompted me to re-paint the lost studies for three of my most recent series, Cowboy Babes (2001-2008), Dangerous Career Babes (2008-2009), Precious Blood (2009), and, of course, the new Big Pin-Ups (2010).
I am calling these studies Renewed Originals. Only one of each has been produced in acrylic (the image is again 60cms by 40cms) on a more generous expanse of heavyweight cold-pressed paper. Each is titled, signed and dated 2010 on the front. They are 'one-off' and no more of the same image will be produced in the future.
Given that these are not the original studies – even if they are now the only versions on paper available – they will be offered for a very limited time for a significantly lower price than the current market value for studies of earlier series.
If you're interested in acquiring one or more, please email me for further information, indicating the work – or works – that most interest you. Please note that none will be reserved and all will be sold on a 'first come, first served' basis.
Photo: Three early acrylic on paper studies by Hazel Dooney, from a private collection, exhibited at MARS Gallery, Port Melbourne, in April, 2010.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You destroyed your work but saved yourself, that is great Hazel. You can always make more work but you can never be resurrected once you are gone. Live a long life !

I was at the train station today and a young guy was pacing around back & forth repetitively and loudly mumbling "i don't want to live anymore", "I don't like living anymore, I have to get out of bed every morning, have to have a long shower.." he listed a few other mundane things we do every day and he said was fed up with it and "I don't want to live anymore" was his chorus line... over & over

I was quite concerned that he was going to jump in front of the next train and hold us all up. I was running late as it was. I imagined the worst and wondered if I should speak to him or someone else to prevent a tragedy.

However I noted that he was not looking at the tracks with any longing and was carrying a briefcase type thing and picked it up when the approaching train was in view. I thought that isn't a guy about to die. He would not be picking up his stuff if he was going to jump, but would be abandoning it.

I was however nervous when the train approched and was very relieved when it passed him while he was still on the platform. When the train stopped he got on board with the rest of us.

He had a phone call during the journey to town and arranged to meet someone at a designated spot at Southern Cross station.

All seemed normal again but I was worried and concered for him for a while back there and with the possibility of my day being wrecked and dreading the trauma of witnessing what I was imagining could happen. I did imagine it.

Life seems so fragile at times. It can be blown out in a second like a candle in the wind.


vg

Anonymous said...

I loved those paintings at MARS.



VG