Sunday, January 09, 2011

In The Raw

The following are a series of images I made in 2005. Using watercolour, lead pencil, a little white acrylic and quotes from my lover's poetry, I completed them all in a day as one continuous work on 30 folding panels of an accordian-like span of paper within a small (9cm x 14cm), Japanese-style notebook produced by Moleskine.
It was one of my first experiments with watercolours but more, it was an attempt to tear away the seamless, glossy surface of the enamels on which I'd focussed for the previous ten years and express everything raw and out of control beneath my skin at the time. I didn't think. I didn't plan. I just let it bleed (sometimes literally) from brush to page.
I gave the finished book to my lover. It was, after all, the best and most meaningful account I could give of us. It was the also most real I had ever been in my art.

13 comments:

VildesVerden said...

Love it!

lohang said...

beautiful

Lisa said...

These are fabulous.

Rachmeal said...

Great set/record of your emotions. The fact that you can do both loose sketching, and large scale, clean/tight paintings shows your prowess as an artist.

zan said...

NICE!

Mike Wood said...

Cool, vibrantly colourful, and intense work. Although not intended as such, they would make cool prints for sure.

Anonymous said...

wow hazel! seeing these is a great start to my day - gorgeous.

VG

Mama Flamingo said...

incredible stream of consciousness

Georgiana said...

I have to admit, I much prefer your watercolour work to your enamel work. It shows more of you, your core and has a natural subversive quality.

Anonymous said...

OUTSTANDING Hazel!!!

What A Gift.

-M

Martin said...

absolutely brilliant!!

Amanda said...

This is wonderful work! So much more powerful and real than your enamels, (which I have to confess I've only seen online) not to mention non-toxic! These have a complexity and depth that will make them enduring statements. I wonder whether you'll feel led to continue in this vein.

Stefan Maguran said...

I'm with Amanda here.