Friday, March 18, 2011

(Im)patient

I have been in bed for the past week with a kidney infection. Loaded with antibiotics, bloated from litres of water and cranberry juice, all I've wanted to do is curl up under the covers and feel sorry for myself.
Instead, I've painted. The humidity has finally subsided enough for me to re-start some long-delayed works on paper. With an off-cut of MDF board on my knees and pillows supporting my back and shoulders, I've been able to finish several pieces in acrylic and gouache.
I don't bother with clothes, just a silk dressing gown. I sip soda water with strawberries and pretend I'm just being louche instead of ill. I get up only to go to the toilet or to open the door to a DHL or Fedex courier, to whom I hand packages containing finished works to deliver to collectors interstate and overseas.
Despite the griping pain and nausea, I'm happy. For me, being productive makes up for a lot.

4 comments:

José Luis Moreno-Ruiz said...

Be patient, Babe, and drink water with horsetail (Equisetum arvense).
JL

Mike Wood said...

Here is hoping you get well soon. :)

Ohio Economic Development said...

You haven't posted in a bit. Hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Hope you've been feeling better, and had a chance to fully rest and recover. You're latest Tumblr photos are superb, your photography has really been fine tuned, and perfect model/companion too, it seems helped that. kj